We use cookies to understand how you use our site and improve your experience. Privacy Policy

Posted by budget_builds_bob on 25/03/2025 · 45 replies

We've all been there. That component you bought on impulse, the RGB splurge that didn't match, or the 'future-proof' part that became obsolete in 6 months.

I'll start: bought a 4K 60Hz monitor in 2023 thinking 4K was more important than refresh rate. Sold it 3 months later and got a 1440p 165Hz panel instead. Lost about $150 on that mistake.

Replies

fragtastic

25/03/2025

16GB of RGB RAM when I already had 32GB of non-RGB. Spent $120 to make my PC look slightly different. The RGB software conflicts were not worth it.

sff_mike

25/03/2025

Bought an E-ATX motherboard for my first build, then fell in love with SFF. That board is still sitting in its box two years later. Can't even bring myself to sell it at a loss.

streamcore

25/03/2025

Elgato capture card when NVENC exists. Spent $180 on something I used exactly twice before realizing OBS + NVENC does the same thing for free with less latency.