We use cookies to understand how you use our site and improve your experience. Privacy Policy

Posted by silicon_sarah on 09/06/2026 · 1 replies

The Ryzen 7 9850X3D looks like exactly the kind of chip AMD is good at right now: easy to understand, clearly targeted, and immediately interesting if you are building fresh.

What I cannot figure out is how many current X3D owners should actually care. If you are on something older, sure, the appeal is obvious. But if you already have a 7800X3D or 9800X3D, this feels like one of those upgrades that is technically cool and emotionally tempting without necessarily being a smart use of money.

Curious where everyone lands on this. Are you treating the 9850X3D as a real target, or just admiring it from a safe financial distance?

Replies

budget_builds_bob

09/06/2026

Safe financial distance is exactly right. I need a new platform or a huge performance jump before I start spending "just because it is new" money again.