We use cookies to understand how you use our site and improve your experience. Privacy Policy

Posted by fragtastic on 05/06/2026 · 1 replies

I finally had access to both chips in the same house for a weekend, so I swapped them into the same 1440p test rig with an RTX 5070 Ti just to see how much the gaming gap actually matters.

Test setup was 32GB DDR5-6000, same board, same cooler, same drivers. In the games I care about, the difference was smaller than forum arguments would make you think. CS2 averaged 488 FPS on the 9800X3D and 476 on the 9950X3D. Warzone was 212 vs 205. Cyberpunk with RT and DLSS landed 134 vs 129. Across the handful of games I tested, it was basically a rounding error unless I stared at the overlay.

My takeaway: if your machine is mostly for gaming, the 9800X3D still feels like the cleaner buy. If you also do real creator or dev work, then the 9950X3D starts making more sense. Anyone else run both and come away with a different conclusion?

Replies

renderqueen

05/06/2026

This lines up with what I expected. The gaming gap is tiny, but the second you throw Blender or encoding into the mix the conversation changes pretty fast.